Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Two years and counting

Holy S*#t! I can’t believe it’s been two years since Shane and I left the UK to move Down Under. They say as you get older the hands on the clock tick faster. Add in a few life changing moments including two international moves, new career, marriage, and time can play some funny tricks on you. While the days and nights inbetween may appear fuzzy, the important moments remain frozen in time.

I remember August 28, 2008 as if it were today. We celebrated our last night in England with each of our favorite meals – take-away Chinese from the shop below our flat for Shane and take-away Indian from the village for me. We left our newly renovated flat in pristine condition, ready for the tenant who moved in that same day. As it’s still our flat, someday we’ll be back to say hello, making the experience even more familiar.

Our flight to the US was departing at 11am. Before sunrise, we left our home (southwest of London) in order to be in Essex (northeast of London) at 7am when the doors opened to the shipping company where we would leave our car to be shipped to Australia. We said good-bye to the car, a very small classic car, crammed with as many of our personal belongings as we could manage and rushed to Heathrow airport, nearly two hours away. Fighting time, we decided in advance that the only way to make it from Essex to Heathrow and not miss our flight was to rent a car.

Right on track with not a minute to spare we dropped off the rental car and shuttled it to our terminal, only to discover that we were in the wrong terminal. Waiting for the tram would put us at risk for missing our flight so we paid ten pounds to take a taxi from terminal five to terminal four. With four suitcases checked in containing nearly every item we owned (aside from what we could cram in the car) we slid onto the plane with plenty of time to reflect on what lie behind and what lay ahead.

The next ten days were spent in limbo with my family and friends in the US. This too is a very clear time consisting of a lake house holiday, shopping, Mexican food and some very sad good-byes. On September 11th, we landed in our new home country. Our car with the remainder of our material possessions arrived four months later - just in time for Christmas, making it a Christmas filled with gifts we forgot we even owned.

This move was particularly monumental for Shane who had spent the last seven years living in England and was finding himself acclimating to a home that now felt like a foreign land. After 2.5 years of living overseas (in the UK and Australia) I feel I’m now at the point where I can sympathize with Shane’s struggles.

I wish I had done a better job documenting my initial days living in Australia. It’s now difficult to recall the emotions and impressions that filled my head during that time. It’s even more difficult to elicit those thoughts because what was then my initial impressions of life in OZ are now a way of life, no longer foreign concepts but the norm.

As I write this blog I find myself naturally replacing my z’s with s’s and my o’s with ou’s. On my third trip back to the US, I struggled for the first time to drive on the right side of the road. I find myself getting passionate about issues which are important to Australian’s and the slang that leaves my mouth is Aussie not American. The accent is no longer an accent but a native sounding tongue. Of course, the sound of my own voice brings me back home but even that too has changed a bit and is unfortunately completely out of my control.

Only in my dreams, do I sometimes drive on the right side of the road, through the winding mountain roads of Colorado, the green lush suburbs of St. Louis, or the busy city streets of Chicago. After all, I am an American. Even a million miles away from America, you are still surrounded by America. But now, I experience it through the eyes of the Australian nighttime news, the latest films, and weekly gossip magazines.

I’ve read a few books by the author Bill Bryson. As an American married to a British woman, he spent nearly twenty years living overseas. Upon his return to the US he wrote a book titled “I’m a stranger here myself.” I look forward to seeking solace in this book upon my eventual return to the US with some good old-fashioned Bill Bryson humor. In the meantime, I’ll live as an American vicariously through family, friends, and mass media. I’ll continue to enjoy Australia’s finer attributes but will miss endless restaurant options, shopping at all hours of the day, the latest technology at the cheapest prices and most of all my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Linz! This post has me slightly emotional because it reminds me how far away you are. Oddly enough, Clarke asked me out of the blue today if we would ever go see you in Australia.

    Hugs to you both. We miss you here but love that we get to see the other side of the world through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete